If you are a foreigner that lives in Romania for a long period of time and of course if you already have a legal stay as a long term Romanian Residence Permit, you are probably interested in the procedures of obtaining the Romanian citizenship.
First you might want to calculate the years that you have spent in Romania, because in order to apply for Romanian citizenship you will need to have lived in Romania for a period of 8 years or for a period of 5 years if your Residence Permit is obtained within the family reunification procedures, meaning that if you are married to a Romanian citizen, you could obtain the citizenship after 5 years.
The above mentioned terms can be reduced up to half if the applicant is the citizen of a European Union member state, if the applicant has acquired the status of refugee or if the applicant has invested in Romania an amount of minimum 1.000.000 euro, this being the Romanian citizenship by investment.
Regarding the calculation of this terms, you must take into consideration that if you spent outside of Romania more that 6 months in a year, that particularly year will not be added to the calculation of the whole period of 8 or 5 years.
Beside this general terms, if you want to apply for Romanian citizenship, you must meet the following conditions:
- proof of loyalty towards the Romanian State through your actions and attitude, basically this can be proven by a declaration that you must give in order to support the rightful order of national security;
- proof of legal means for a decent existence in Romania, that will be calculated regarding the minimum wage of Romania at the time of the application;
- proof of a general good behavior, not being convicted in the country or abroad for a crime that excludes you from the right of Romanian citizenship;
- knowing the Romanian language and pass a test about basic notions of Romanian history, culture and civilization;
- knowing the provisions of the Romanian Constitution and the national anthem.
For the citizenship test, the National Authority of Romanian Citizenship has established the following materials that you will have to prepare in order to pass the test:
- Romania’s Constitution;
- History of Romania;
- Geography of Romania;
- Romanian culture and civilization – this is some part of Romanian history as well, it refers to the Romanian culture and not only historical events.
Our Law Office can provide practical materials and tests to help you learn, the materials consist in questions and answers respecting the theme and bibliography established by the National Authority for Citizenship.
Regarding the fact that you need to know the Romanian language in order to apply and take the test, all the materials are in Romanian. If you think that this materials can help you, contact us at email@example.com and we will send this to you.
Also, below you will find the official website of the National Authority of Romanian Citizenship, where you can find the materials regarding the subjects that the test might contain:
We hope this article helped you understand the general procedure for obtaining the Romanian citizenship, please contact us for any support that you might need.